Saturday 5 January 2019

Oh, for a cool change



The articles for early January 1939 talk about the need to keep cool. Nothing much seems to change and the weather is still hot in 2019! The newspaper article for how to keep food fresh without an ice box is an interesting read. Depending on where you live refrigerators were advertised and many had them.




The garden for January 1939 talks about keeping up with the watering during hot days, and to plant out celery. Now a days gardeners don't bother with the trench method, they blanch the stems when they are almost fully grown by wrapping cardboard or newspaper around the plant to exclude the light to blanch the stem. Blanching the stem of celery will make the plant less bitter tasting.


I've planted my celery out. I left them a little too long in the seed planter but they will bounce back. It is important to keep the water up to the plant.


I'm going back to old fashioned bar soap this week, instead of using liquid soap. I've chosen to go with the Lux soap as the brand is advertised more than Palmolive soap. I wonder if I will end up with a complexion as: 'lovely as Joan Blondell!'


The scrapbook I have for the newspaper articles of the time is starting to fill up with a wide variety of home and garden sections. There's a lot of things I can't do with the articles I do have due to the obvious reason some items are no longer available or they are not something I want to do just yet. But I save what I find and it will be a good record to have on hand.

Don't get me wrong, I love vintage, but I also love our modern cons and technology. Without the latter, I wouldn't be able to research and save what I find. It would also mean long trips to the library. I think eating and living like our older generations once did makes sense in these times of uncertainty we seem to be in, but it is also wise to balance our technology with theirs too.


I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever you are.


1 comment:

  1. Shiralee, I love your embroidery! Beautiful! I agree, we should try to eat like our grandparents did when they were young - like in the 30s. Hoping to work toward that a little more in 2019!
    Many blessings!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete