Sunday 20 May 2018

You say tomato - 1939


In 1939 an Australian woman’s magazine recommend tomatoes have a place on every Australian table. The article cited the high vitamin contents of tomatoes as one of the reasons to keep serving tomatoes. And, as they were easily prepared or quickly cooked the busy housewife, it said, would appreciate serving tomatoes for a meal.

Tomato soup is perhaps one of the easiest to prepare. Very ripe tomatoes, or a can of peeled tomatoes, can be use. I used a can of peeled tomatoes because that was already in the pantry.



If you don't want the skin on the tomatoes cut a cross in the top of them and in a dish pour boiling hot water over them, this will split the skin and it will peel away easily.




Tomato Soup - A can of tomatoes, 1 large onion, 1 garlic clove, bunch of parsley, pinch of thyme and sliced basil leaves for garnish. 

Melt butter, add in garlic clove, lightly cook onion until transparent. Add in the can of tomatoes, chop them down in the pan. Add in herbs and bring to boil. I used a whisked and whisked the soup you can also use a stick blender to break it down. At this point you can add tablespoon of flour and bring to boil, add a cup of milk, then boil again. I didn’t do this but I added grated cheese through the soup and used cheese to garnish. 

I saved up with grated cheese garnished basil and homemade Damper bread.

Serve hot. 

I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever you are.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy with the homemade damper, Shiralee. I don't think I have ever made damper but I did eat it somewhere once...perhaps at a place like the Jondaryan Woolshed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanna Chel,
      I haven't been out to the Jondaryan Woolshed. I must take a trip when they have the event on.
      Hope you are keeping warm.
      -Shiralee.

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious. I've never heard of damper. Are they some type of quick bread biscuits (as in American biscuits)? I hope your week is off to a great start. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are like American bread biscuits. There is a recipe for it here on one of my older blog posts: http://apeacefulhomemaker.blogspot.com/2016/01/homely-days.html
      Thanks for dropping by. - Shiralee.

      Delete