Sunday 11 May 2014

Late Autumn

 
There was a couple of days where we did have a bit of a cold snap, and during that time it was good for making curried stew.
 
 
 There's nothing like a curried stew on cold days and they're a must during winter. Right now the weather is lovely and winter thoughts are far away.

 
But we at least managed to have a good stew for the season and as always with most stews we have a damper bread to go with it. Which is a bit like a over grown scone.

 
If you've ever had one cooked over hot coals or in a wood stove, you've eaten a proper damper. Just doesn't taste the same in today's stove's.
 
 
With the colder weather settling in I've been going through old clothes to clear out the cupboard. While I didn't have many clothes to clear out, the ones I saved I placed in the recycle bag and are now being made to use. A woven potholder like above is the start of a new project. The other material is for the string scrap quilt which is in progress.

 
The woven potholder uses an old shirt I had. It's amazing the amount of fabric that comes from clothing like this. I also save all the buttons, zips, and such. As well, when I cut the seams off the clothes I save those. You can use the seams for potholder hangers.
 
Have a good day or evening where ever you are.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished potholder, Shiralee. That method looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanna Chel, the method is pretty straight forward but I think though it would maybe be better if the material had the edges folded in (like bias) as right now it looks very fuzzy. But looks okay. Not sure how that'd do in the wash...I'll test later.

    ReplyDelete