Friday 13 March 2015

Granny Mac’s Fruit Cake

a smaller cake from a larger batch added to a lined tin

Granny Mac and my mum are old timey cooks, they don’t use measuring cups and measuring spoons. Everything is a handful of this and a pinch of that. Granny Mac was the same and she showed mum how to bake this cake by demonstration.  I learnt this cake by videoing mum one day while she made it and I wrote down the recipe. Keep in mind this is a rough measurement.

Granny Mac was mum’s mother-in-law. She passed away a few years ago.

To Make:

Line a tin with baking paper.

- Self raising flour (roughly) 2 1/2 cups
- Sugar. ½ cups
- Fruit: Sultanas. Mix Peel. Glazed Cherries. ½ packet each of Sultanas. Mix Peel. And only a handful of Glazed cherries. Don’t over do the glazed cherries unless you want a Christmas cake.
- Couple of big spoons of melted butter.
- Heap teaspoon of Bi-Carb soda.
- Eggs. 3 eggs if you are making a small fruit cake. Mix eggs into mixture fast so they don’t cook in the hot melted butter.

Bake at 170 degrees for a fan forced oven. Put a knife in the cake if the knife comes out clean the cake is done.


I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever you are.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds very yummy, Shiralee. It is a pity I have given up sugar or else I would give it a try :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanna Chel,
      It's very sugary with the fruit too. So no cake for you. But it's great you are giving up sugar.
      -Shiralee

      Delete
    2. I have been using honey instead of sugar in my banana cake and the family has not even noticed.

      Delete
  2. So, is this a white fruit cake? My Nan used to make white fruitcakes - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil,
      I'm not sure if it is a white fruit cake. I've never heard of the term. I guess it might be?
      -Shiralee.

      Delete