Monday 23 June 2014

Artful Soap

 
On Saturday I attended the Simple Living soapmaking workshop and swap. I took along my swap, Solar candle light boxes (The boxes open up and inside is a small flicker solar candle light which shows through the front 'window'. For the 'window' I embossed baking paper--one of them does use vellum but I didn't have enough for five so I thought why not baking paper? I inked it up, and placed it behind clear acetate so the flickering glow would show through) for the swap table. They're not perfect by any means but I liked the idea of them. 
 
After a cuppa and the swap it was time to start the workshop.

 
Our teachers Helen and Mandy of the Old Dairy were excellent with explaining the process and even took away a lot of the 'scary' aspects of cold process of soap making using Caustic Soda/Lye. The first demonstration explained how to use goats milk in soap making and the second was a basic soap recipe.

 
The overall process was easy and it did help show how simple soap making is if you are careful!
 

 After the workshop we were all given a lovely sample to take home and cure. I have mine in the cupboard curing. It was a great workshop and swap.
 
 

Meanwhile, at home I am cleaning out my stash stuff and general 'nest' fluffing my room. The weather is colder now and we've had some rain too; so this is a good time to get in and clean out the craft stash. I've also been a-doodling in my sketch book working out some ideas for a different approach to what I usually have in my sketch books. I'm thinking embroidery and cross stitch patterns.

I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever they are.

1 comment:

  1. It certainly was a great workshop, Shiralee and your light boxes were just lovely.

    ReplyDelete