Monday 29 September 2014

Rotation System

 
If you have a lot of craft projects going at once you know how some fall down to the bottom of the sewing basket and never see the light again. While I try to finish one project up at a time before I start another it's hard to do when I like doing a variety of crafts.
 
 
Some time ago when I was cross stitching I read in a magazine how to use your project time wisely. When I find some projects getting out of hand and probably not going to get finished before I flit off to the next project I follow the instructions in the magazine to start up a rotation system. Over time I created my own way of doing this and it works for me. You can use this as a starting point to see what works for you.
 
 
 
Rotation System:
 
Step 1: Gather all your craft projects you are currently working on. Find yourself large snap lock bags.
 
Step 2: Sort all the projects out so you have the instructions/charts/patterns/threads/materials all together for that one project and pop it into a snap lock bag and label that project 1.
 
Step 3: Do this for every craft project you have out. Labelling each one as Project 1, Project 2, and so on.
 
Step 4: Look at each project and see how much is done on them. One might be nearly completed label this project as 90%. Another might only have a small amount done say 10 %. Another might be 50%. Label all the projects and the amount you think is left on them.
 
Step 5: On all the projects work out how much time you can allot during the week, every day, or night, or morning. Say 1hr or 2hrs. Write on all the bags how much time you are willing to work on each project during the week.  By now every bag should have all of it's instructions and materials to finish the project. It should be labeled Project 1, or 2, or so on. It should have the amount of time you can devote to it. The pile of baggies should be in a basket or box you can have easy access to.
 
Step 6: When your week/weekend starts begin work on the project you are likely to finished first or want as a focus piece to finish. All the projects have a 2 hr time limit to work on. You work on one for 2hrs and move on to the next. If you finish a project the 2hr time is alloted to the next project in the rotation.

And that's my way of doing a simple rotation system. Clear as mud, eh? Of course you can throw everything out the window and just work on what appeals to you whenever the mood strikes. Which is called: The screaming rotation.

I hope every one is having a good day or evening wherever they are.

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting rotation system, Shiralee. I don't have a system unfortunately :-)

    ReplyDelete