Sunday 19 April 2015

Autumn rain




We've been having a light drop of steady rain and it is making the days more autumn-y. I have no doubt this will bring in colder weather again and I quiet like the idea. I love autumn and winter. Spring is also nice but not my favourite like autumn. 
Over the weekend I attended the Simple Living workshop. Margy introduced us to paper piecing Hexagons and it was a nice time being shown how to hand piece the hexagons together. Although the workshop was small it was still a good time. I do enjoy the workshops as they give excellent learning skills and it introduces me to a wide range of people. I'm really shy in public and getting me out from family is a big thing for me. So this is a good learning experience all around for me. 
Speaking of learning I'm also getting into my driving. 8 lessons, and I've been down the main street without too much damage...I think. Still have a long way to go.


With the rain about I've been getting into the UFO basket I have of sewing projects that need to be finished. One project is the Roman Road/ Rail fence project. I am now into joining all my blocks together to form rows. Traditionally you are supposed to make your colours match, but I am just doing a scrap quilt using what I have on hand. All material thrifted or given to me. I stumbled upon OURHALFACRE HOMESTEAD youtube channel which I highly recommend going through as there is some good videos about homesteading and simple living. I am following Mrs Volfie's instructions Part 1 and Part 2  for making this Tied patchwork. It can't be called a quilt because it isn't quilted in any way but tied. Also be sure to check out her Grandmother's flower garden quilts too.



We've been making this for dinner to go into pasties. A simple and quick meal. With colder weather it's nice comfort food. The weather is also good for taking a few magazines I found at the thrift store to read with a nice hot cup of tea.


I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever you are.


5 comments:

  1. It was a good workshop I must say, Shiralee. It was nice sitting around the table sewing those little bitsy stitches. :-) I finished my 'flower' now I have to cut out some five sided pieces to make a ball for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bit of a weakness for vintage magazines, Shiralee. Your going well with your driving lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is my favorite time of year. However, after just coming out of a very long cold winter, I am happy to see spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I am better qualified to comment, I would love to hold such a workshop in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Shiralee, Cold here this morning 5.7 when I got up. Comfort food is on my mind too as i do my menu in preparation for shopping later in the week. I am thinking of making zip up pouches similar to make up bags with my hexies when I make some more.

    ReplyDelete