Tuesday 14 April 2015

A hint of purple



We've had a fine day today, not too hot, not too cold. Just the type of weather I like.


I'm working through my UFO basket of needlework and started to do up these strips for a patchwork quilt. It's simple enough modern take on a older patchwork technique. Strips are cut first, 2 1/2 inches and then they are joined into strips of three. The strips are cut into 6 1/2 inches for blocks. The blocks are then joined together, alternating vertical and horizontal to make a row. Before you know it you will have your self a Roman path or rail fence quilt. I'm using scraps. Old bed sheets. Pillowcases. Skirts. Tops. All pieces thrifted and I should soon have a nice frugal top which I'll simply make up as a tied quilt. Very thrifty and costs nothing much but a lot of time. This will be my first real patchwork and I want to keep it simple. I can't call it a quilt because it is tied, not quilted.

 Cooler weather means some more kitchen activity with baking and such. This is upside apple cake. We have it with hot custard. I'll give a recipe for it soon.


With nice weather I took a walk around the backyard. This plant is tucked up behind the shed under a great old fir looking tree. It's grown since it was last planted, when I brought it home from my first Simple Living workshop. The plant came from Nanna Chel of Going Grey and slightly green.


Another beautiful plant that has grown big is my Heliotrope. I brought it at a fete. It has such a nice scent and I really like the colour of the flowers.


I was also asked about the house cushion. I did use crayon tinting to finish it up. If you would like to try the pattern yourself you can save it and do it up. Redwork would look nice. Or done in blue. You could use various colours and even try applique. I created the design from a sketch book scribble way back.


I hope everyone is having a good day or evening where ever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment